Workplace on Portal
Use your Portal to join Workplace video calls, watch live broadcasts or go live to your company.
Workplace can be used on Portal to call coworkers and receive screen shares during a call. Workplace calls utilize Smart Camera and Smart Sound, and allow you to call anyone within your Workplace instance or in a connected multi-company group. Workplace on Portal currently supports video calls with up to seven people at one time and it also supports Multi-Company Chats.
All video calls made from Workplace on Portal are encrypted, and only one Workplace account can be linked to Portal at a time.
Installing Workplace on Portal
To install and set up Workplace on Portal:
- From Home on your Portal, tap Apps.
- Scroll to Workplace and tap Add. To access Workplace on Portal, your software needs to be on version 1.1.2 or later. If you can’t find Workplace in Apps, please update your software.
- When the Workplace app has installed, tap Open.
- Go to workplace.com/device in a browser and enter the Portal on-screen code.
- Set a four-digit PIN. You'll need to enter your PIN before you answer calls.
- Tap Allow to grant access to your mic and camera, then tap Get Started.
Note: You require a Facebook/WhatsApp login when you set up Portal the first time. However once the Workplace on Portal app is set up, your professional contacts and personal contacts are kept entirely separated. We are working on Login to Portal with Workplace.
Using Workplace on Portal
To start a Workplace one-on-one call on Portal:
- From Workplace, find the coworker you want to call.
- Tap next to their name.
To start a Workplace group call on Portal:
- From Workplace, find the coworker you want to call and tap next to their name.
- When you're on the call, tap to add more coworkers to the call.
You can share your screen when on a Workplace call from Workplace Chat on Windows or Mac. Your coworker will be able to see your screen share on their Portals.
To share a screen with Workplace on Portal:
- While in a video call, click at the bottom of your screen.
- Select which screen option you want to share:
- Your Entire Screen: This may share any window that's open on your computer, including your desktop.
- Application Window: This will only share the specific window that you select.
- Chrome Tab: This will only share the specific Chrome tab you select.
- Once you have selected your option, click Share. Keep in mind that screen-sharing only works in calls with one person, not in group calls.
To change your Workplace PIN:
- From Workplace, tap in the top-right of your Portal screen.
- Tap Change PIN.
- Enter your previous four-digit PIN.
- Set a new four-digit PIN.
You can disable ringtone for incoming Workplace calls during personal time and your focus time by activating Silent Mode.
To activate Silent Mode:
- From Workplace on Portal app, go to Settings by tapping .
- Tap enable/disable silencing incoming Workplace calls next to Silent Mode.
Note: Workplace is supported on Portal, Portal+ and Portal Mini. Workplace isn’t supported on Portal TV. Currently, the voice command "Hey Portal" is not supported.
For more information on Portal, visit the Portal Help Center.
You can go live with Portal when you have downloaded the Workplace Live app and confirmed your device via workplace.com/device.
Go Live on Portal
To go live with Portal on Workplace:
- Open the Workplace Live app, then tap Go Live.
- Select your audience from a Workplace group or the entire organization. You can also add an optional description.
- Tap Start Live Video.
Watch Live with Portal
To watch a Live video with Portal, open the Workplace Live app on Portal. You'll see a selection of Live videos chronologically, while Live videos that are in session will have "Live" displayed at the top. Tap on the video to watch.
Note: Live videos can be viewed on any devices that support live videos, including desktop and mobile.You can also generate captions for the video after it has been uploaded.
You can blur your background or add a custom background during video calls on Workplace on Portal.
To add a custom background during video calls:
- During a Workplace call on Portal or while the call is connecting, tap the Portal screen.
- Tap to pull up the menu.
- Tap on Effects, then tap Backgrounds.
- Select a background of your choice, including the blur option.
Learn how to go live with Portal on Workplace.